5.25.2006

I ♥ Zhonghua




As I near a year stateside my thoughts have turned to China. When I was there, my immediate reaction to all things irritating was to contrast them with America. The American parallel didn't matter so much. I was just sure that America would deal with whatever it was in a plainly superior way. My country came to symbolize all that was good and logical of humanity, and China the opposite.

The blind and annoying jingoism of the people toward their country and leaders is one example. Countless trips in China were peppered with the "I Love China" song screeched over the bus or taxi stereo; Chinese passengers singing along and Americans rolling their eyes.

But since I've been back, so often when I talk about these kinds of things, I'm reminded of the same sorts of annoying idiosyncrasies in America. When I mention how difficult it is to find a blade of grass in a big Chinese city, a friend says that American big cities are becoming the same way. I say that political corruption is a huge problem in China, and I see the latest Democrat or Republican exposed for graft. I mention the uberpatriotic, government-controlled Chinese media, and then I see FOX News.

I guess it's easy to be negative when you're homesick, but when you get home you realize that everyone's a little bit Chinese.

1 Comments:

Blogger interestinglyenough said...

I love that your new profile picture is Trogdor. I mean, he IS the Burninator.

Trogdor was a man. I mean, he was a dragon, man. But he was still TROGDOR. Burninating the countryside, burninating the peasants, burninating the people, in their thatched roof cottages. THATCHED ROOF COTTAGES.

Have fun in Colorado.

5/27/2006 12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home